Call Now: (617) 855-8593

265 Franklin Street, Suite 1702, Boston, MA 02110

Humanitarian Visas

Victims of crime and violenceIn addition to the Asylum, Refugee Status and Withholding of Removal categories the United states recognizes that there may be humanitarian grounds or extenuating circumstances which led you to come to or remain in the United States. As such they have created various types of visas or stays of removal that may be available to you:

U visa

U visas are available for victims of certain qualifying criminal activity. It was enacted to strengthen the ability of law enforcement agencies to investigate and prosecute cases of domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking of aliens and other crimes, while also protecting victims of crimes who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse due to the crime and are willing to help law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity. The legislation also helps law enforcement agencies to better serve victims of crimes. For more information on U Visas including a full list of what crimes are considered qualifying crimes click here.

T visa

Similarly to the U visa, above, the T visa was enacted to strengthen the ability of law enforcement agencies to investigate and prosecute human trafficking, and also offer protection to victims. Fore more information on T Visas please click here.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

Battered Spouses, Children and Parents of US Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents (Greencard holders) may be able to file an immigrant visa petition for themselves, without the abuser’s knowledge. This allows victims to seek both safety and independence from their abuser, who is not notified about the filing. For more information please follow this link.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

This type of reprieve is also refereed to as DACA or the DREAM act. These are not visas but rather a reprieve from and a guarantee that the Government will not deport you for a specified time.
To be eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), one must show the following:

  • Were under 31 years of age as of June 15, 2012;
  • Came to the United States before your 16th birthday;
  • Have continuously resided from June 15, 2007 until present;
  • Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012 and at the time you apply for DACA;
  • Were not authorized to be in the United States on June 15, 2012;
  • Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  • Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

Contact Hannaford Immigration Law today so we can assist you with your application for Deferred Action so that you may remain here in the United States, get a driver’s license, work authorization (EAD) and even attend university.

Temporary Protected Status

This is also known as TPS and the Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a country’s nationals as eligible for TPS if it is deemed that it is unsafe for nationals of that country to return home at the present time. A country may be designated for TPS due to armed conflicts such as a civil war or natural disasters such as an earthquake or a hurricane.

Like DACA, above, TPS is not a visa but if eligible, it will guarantee you a reprieve from deportation and the ability to apply for a work authorization document (EAD) and the possibility to gain permission to travel. For a full list of the countries which are currently designated and more information on the eligibility requirements click here. If you would like Hannaford Immigration Law to assist you in applying for TPS or a renewal of your previous grant, contact us today.

See reviews and testimonialsGreat immigration service

Great working with them! Foster & Hannaford answered my immigration questions promptly and thoroughly, delivering great value for money. I wouldn’t have been able to navigate the immigration system and come to a decision without their help and gui...

June 15, 2012 by Timothy Fargo.
    

Anne Drummond's Immigration I was concerned over my mother Anne Drummond, who at 83 suffering from Dementia and back problems, was returning to England every 6 months. I was not sure of the various visas or status that my mother could obtain. I appr...

July 8, 2012 by Carolyn Kiss.
    

Very grateful When my child was diagnosed with a very serious condition, my mother, who was visiting from Argentina, was about to go back home. Her tourist visa was expiring soon. I could't imagine not having her help and support during this difficu...

November 29, 2012 by Cecilia Garraffo.
    


Click here to submit your Immigration inquiry


    Paul C. Hannaford, Esq.Principal Attorney


    Paul is now a U.S. citizen, however, he was initially born in Hong Kong, Paul with dual citizenship in both the United Kingdom and Ireland. and he has held both a non-immigrant visa and been a green card holder. As Paul has personal experience with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, he and can empathize in all matters relating to U.S. immigration. It was through these experiences that led him to become an Immigration Attorney.

    Upon graduating from law school in the UK, Paul worked in financial services with Merrill Lynch in Ireland before pursuing a legal career. He has worked in both criminal and civil law before devoting his attention and pursuing his passion by focusing solely on Immigration Law.

    Latest Immigration HeadlinesPlease visit and follow us on facebook