Call Now: (617) 855-8593

265 Franklin Street, Suite 1702, Boston, MA 02110

Visitor Visa

Tourist Visas

If you are looking to come to the United States for less then 6 months, then a B visa might be the visa for you. The duration of your stay given on these visas by Customs Border Patrol (CBP) is however often limited to the time necessary to complete the purpose of your trip. You may not need to get a visa at all as based on your nationality you might be eligible to have that requirement waived by using the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) all though these trips are limited to 90 days.
Occasionally these visas are issued for longer and you may hear people refer to the fact that they have a 10 year B visa. This does not mean that they can come to the United States for 10 years. Rather during that period the visa gives them permission to apply for admission to the United States at the port of entry (normally the airport) with CBP.

Visitor Visa for Travel and Medical Purposes

You may want to consider getting a tourist visa, a B-2 visa, if you are looking to come into the United States for less then 6 months and the purpose of your trip falls into one of the following categories:

  • tourism
  • vacation (holiday)
  • visit with friends or relatives
  • medical treatment
  • participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  • participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

Visitor Visa for Business Purposes

Unless eligible for the visa waiver program, persons who wish to conduct activities of a commercial or professional nature in the United States must obtain a B1 visa. This is also a temporary visa usually granted for up to 6 months or the duration needed to complete the necessary activities. Such activities include but are not limited to:

  • Consulting with business associates;
  • Negotiating a contract;
  • Attending a business conference;
  • Traveling for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or a conference on specific dates; or
  • Settling an estate.

B-1 Visas are often complex in what can and cannot be done whilst on a B-1 visa for further information on the requirements that need to be met for this type of visa, click here or contact Hannaford Immigration today by calling us or filling in the inquiry form.

Occasionally the B-1 and B-2 visa are actually issued together and you will find that your visa is annotated with B-1/B-2 which will allow someone who has an old valid B-2 visa apply for admission with CBP as a B-1 and vice versa.

Visa Waiver Program

For individuals from certain countries who are enrolled in the visa waiver program they are exempt from the normal requirement of getting a visa for these purposes. You will only be granted 90 days or less when entering on the VWP but if you would like to stay longer you may still apply at the consulate for the appropriate B visa.

In order to travel on the VWP you also need to register for Electronic System for Travel Authorization, more commonly referred to as ESTA.

See reviews and testimonialsGreat immigration service

Great working with them! Foster & Hannaford answered my immigration questions promptly and thoroughly, delivering great value for money. I wouldn’t have been able to navigate the immigration system and come to a decision without their help and gui...

June 15, 2012 by Timothy Fargo.
    

Anne Drummond's Immigration I was concerned over my mother Anne Drummond, who at 83 suffering from Dementia and back problems, was returning to England every 6 months. I was not sure of the various visas or status that my mother could obtain. I appr...

July 8, 2012 by Carolyn Kiss.
    

Very grateful When my child was diagnosed with a very serious condition, my mother, who was visiting from Argentina, was about to go back home. Her tourist visa was expiring soon. I could't imagine not having her help and support during this difficu...

November 29, 2012 by Cecilia Garraffo.
    


Click here to submit your Immigration inquiry


    Paul C. Hannaford, Esq.Principal Attorney


    Paul is now a U.S. citizen, however, he was initially born in Hong Kong, Paul with dual citizenship in both the United Kingdom and Ireland. and he has held both a non-immigrant visa and been a green card holder. As Paul has personal experience with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, he and can empathize in all matters relating to U.S. immigration. It was through these experiences that led him to become an Immigration Attorney.

    Upon graduating from law school in the UK, Paul worked in financial services with Merrill Lynch in Ireland before pursuing a legal career. He has worked in both criminal and civil law before devoting his attention and pursuing his passion by focusing solely on Immigration Law.

    Latest Immigration HeadlinesPlease visit and follow us on facebook